Guiding the Next Generation of Readers.
- Organization: AARP Experience Corps
- Causes: Educational, Seniors
- Date(s): Volunteers are needed throughout the school year from September 2012 through June 2013.
- Contact person: Tiffany Sanford
- Phone: 443-278-9400
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.experiencecorps.org
AARP Experience Corps is an award-winning national volunteer program which engages people over 55 in meeting their communities' greatest challenges by serving as tutors and mentors to students in kindergarten through third grade.
Independent research shows that AARP Experience Corps boosts student academic performance, helps schools become more successful, and enhances the well-being of older adults in the process.
In Baltimore City AARP Experience Corps operates in 22 schools, providing literacy coaching, homework help, consistent role models and, committed caring attention. In each school, teams of 10-20 members worked under the direction of the classroom teacher in K-3rd grade class settings. This school year the program has nearly 300 Experience Corps Baltimore City members enrolled and providing services for over 6,270 students in 285 classrooms.